Do you ever have a hard time making small talk?
Well, lets change that. Here’s how to do it.
1. Talk like a FROG.
FROG stands for – Family, Recreation, Occupation and Goals. Ask about these things… and you’ve just started a great conversation.
2. Speak their language.
People communicate in different ways, often according to their personality type.
If you work to match your communication style to the type of person you are speaking with, you build affinity with them (they will like you and not know why right away). They feel more comfortable because you’re speaking at their level.
There’s a common set of personality profile characteristics called DISC to help you determine the type of person you are talking with:
- D stands for dominance. D-type people are usually leaders, driven, authoritative, fast paced and straight to the point.
- I stands for influence. I-type people are extremely outgoing, social, energetic and usually known as the life of the party.
- S stands for steadiness. S-type people are dependable, accepting, patient and often times known as really good listeners.
- C stands for compliance. C-type people are extremely organized, by the book, stubborn and well prepared.
One personality type is not better than the other, just different. Enjoy getting to know people for who they are.
Match your tone, cadence, words and body language to the person you’re talking with, and you’ll build a better relationship, quicker.
One more thing…
- Smile like everyone’s an I
- Care like everyone’s an S
- Prepare like everyone’s a C
- Sell like everyone’s a D
Now, go talk to somebody!